Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Grind

What's just so extreme about this commute you say? Well, I figured that would make a good next entry. So here we go.

In summary we live in Lakebay Washington. Here's a map to get a sense of where that is.


View Larger Map

Why we live this far away from civilization will make for wonderfully absurd reading at another time. Our commute involves three intrepid and slightly daffy travelers, me, my wife Tammy and her sister Misty aka "The Muffin". Tammy's destination is Seatac Airport.


View Larger Map

The Muffin works downtown Seattle


View Larger Map

Lastly fine reader, I work in Redmond.


View Larger Map

A typical commute day looks like this.
  • 5:30 AM - Tammy awake, Wii Fit
  • 5:00 AM - Wes awake, coffee, shower, gather mass of electronic devices.
  • 5:40 AM - Depart, Wes behind the wheel and with a quick stop by the in-laws to drop off Pepper, the small hairy red carpet cleaner and then on to Gig Harbor to get Misty.
  • 6:10 AM - Standing by in "The Harbor" waiting to retrieve The Muffin.

    From here we cross the Tacoma Narrows bridge, cha-ching, bridge toll. Through Tacoma, Fife, Federal Way, Tukwilla, and into Seattle.

  • 7:15 AM - We pull up infront of Misty's place oh bidness, Misty deploys completing leg one. Tammy and I switch positions.
  • 7:20 AM - Tammy slows to under 20 MPH to boot me out the door at 4th and James. I roll extremely well and pivot up to my feet at my bus stop.

    Our path splits at this point. I hop the 545 bus for Redmond and Tammy continues back south to Seatac.

  • 7:30 AM - Tammy arrives at Seatac and takes up position of master of all she surveys.
  • 8:10 AM - I arrive at the sweat shop in Redmond. In a straight drive it's 69 miles from Lakebay to Redmond. With the stops and turns we have to make its something more like 90 miles one way before the day is done.

    As you can see, we spend a fair time on the road. The schedule above is assuming there is no traffic problems, no one woke up late, and I didn't have to stop to reduce my rage.

    So, this is what we call extreme commuting. We may petition to have it turned into an X-Games event.

    Tomorrow, the return trip, one of us gets a reprieve, and why our commute in the winter translates to eternal night!
  • 1 comment:

    1. You lied. The "Lake" in "Lakebay" in the top map is lying right on top of my house, not yours.

      ReplyDelete