Thursday, February 4, 2010

Oh I Wanna Go Home!

Good morning! Got my morning oatmeal and I'm ready to type! As promised, completing our tale of woe, here's what our trip home looks like.

  • 3:00 PM - I run out of my workplace screaming with my hair on fire or dry washing my hands and making noises that would make you think I've suddenly joined an obscure sect of Pole Sitters.
  • 3:06 PM - I hop the bus from the Overlake Transit Center to the Renton Transit Center.
  • 3:45 PM - The Renton Transit Center (RTC), 'tis a lovely place.

    A word on communication and commuting. This leg of the trip home is new. I was doing a double bus ride to Seatac but we discovered we could shave a full 45 minutes off the trip if Tammy met me at the RTC. On the first day that we tried this, we coordinated my arrival via Accutracking and telephone calls. Both of us assumed we had this new system down. I assumed Tammy would know that I should arrive about the same time and see my Accutracking alert, she assumed that I would call to give her a heads up that I was pulling in. We were both wrong. This resulted in me standing at the RTC for 20 minutes while she sat 100 yards around the corner. My view of RTC while waiting for Tammy
    Ok, enough of that, back to the story. When we last met Wes was reuniting with his bride at the RTC (queue dramatic music) ... and action!

  • 3:50 PM - We depart and head south, Tukwilla, Federal Way, Tacoma, The Narrows Bridge (toll is only one way, so big smiles here), Gig Harbor, wait hold on, where's The Muffin!?!? Glad you asked.

    Typically, Misty only rides with us in the Morning. Due to timing issues, and I have to say it, a pretty good transit system, she takes the bus from Seattle to Gig Harbor. It takes her about 2 hours to get there, but with two buses she's plopped right in front of her house. One exception to this is Wednesdays. Wednesdays is dinner at the in laws. Bob and Emma (Tammy and Misty's parental units) make a family meal with southern flare and we meet Misty in Gig Harbor so she can ride down to the farm for grub.

  • 5:30-6:00 PM - We arrive back in sleepy Lakebay with just enough time to eat, inhale, and be in bed by 9. So, in a nutshell that's our commute. 4-6 hours a day on the road.

    At the end of yesterday I mentioned that one of us gets a reprieve and it's me! For the past several years I've telecommuted all but 1 day a week. Recently because the yet another gust of wind has blown through my employers hallway, I've had to be in the office 3 days a week. So I'm only riding this beast 3 days a week. Tammy on the other hand, has been doing this commute 5 days a week for 10 years.

    Last but not least why winter is eternal night for an extreme Puget Sound commuter. 5:00 AM to 6:00 PM, yup, nothing but the view below.



  • Don't drive angry! Drive weird!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment